Hello, All! Found a good article compliments of http://www.coreperformance.com/ relating to snack ideas pre- and post-workout.
20 Simple Workout Snacks
Danielle LaFata March 26, 2010
Lilli Day / Getty Images
Whether you exercise in the morning, afternoon or evening, try to eat before and after you train. You’ll boost energy levels to stay sharp, both mentally and physically, throughout even the toughest workouts—and help your body recover better afterwards. What’s best to eat? While the research is fairly complex, the take-home menu is actually quite simple.
Studies show that a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio of carbohydrates to protein is best, depending on the intensity and duration of your workout.
For a short, low to medium intensity workout, a 2:1 ratio is enough.
For longer, harder sessions, aim for a 3:1 ratio—you’ll need the extra carbs to help refuel your depleted energy stores.
Keeping those ratios in mind, aim for a combination of 15-30 grams of protein and 30-90 grams of carbs before and after your workout.
Below are 20 sample shakes, snacks, and meal options to get you started. Keep in mind that calorie counts vary, so be aware of your overall calorie intake when planning your workout nutrition.
1. EAS Myoplex Lite Shake25g protein, 20g carbs1 shake
2. Chocolate Milk 20g protein, 60g carbs16-oz serving
3. Fruit Juice + Whey Protein24g protein, 56g carbs1 Scoop EAS 100% Whey Protein, 1 cup 100% fruit juice
4. EAS Lite + Banana36g protein, 46g carbs1 shake, 1 banana
5. EAS AdvantEdge Complete Nutrition Bar13g protein, 31g carbs1 bar
6. Pita + Hummus14g protein, 40g carbs1 whole wheat pita, 3 tbsp hummus, 1 oz almonds
7. Kashi GOLEAN Roll! Bar12g protein, 28g carbs1 bar
8. Peanut Butter Toast18g protein, 44g carbs2 slices whole grain toast, 2 tbsp natural peanut butter
9. Apples + Yogurt14g protein, 27g carbs1 apple, 1 1/2 cups low-fat Greek yogurt
10. English Muffin + Almond Butter10g protein, 30g carbs1 whole grain English muffin, 2 tbsp natural almond butter
11. Eggs + Wheat Toast15g protein, 47g carbs2 hard-boiled eggs, 2 slices of whole grain toast
12. Subway Sandwich36g protein, 92g carbs12-inch Subway turkey breast sub (no cheese)
13. Chicken Marinara Pasta41g protein, 86g carbs5 oz grilled chicken, 2 cups whole wheat pasta, 1/2 cup marinara sauce
14. Sandwich + Chocolate Milk27g protein, 93g carbs2 slices whole wheat bread, 2 tbsp natural peanut butter, 1 medium banana, 6 oz chocolate milk
15. Oatmeal + Whey Protein16g protein, 28g carbs1/2 cup oatmeal, 10 grams whey protein
16. Chicken + Rice30g protein, 66g carbs1 1/2 cups Spanish yellow rice, 3 oz lean meat
17. Asian Chicken Stir-Fry 30g protein, 60g carbs1/2 package Trader Joe's Asian Style Chicken Stir
18. Bean Burrito 18g protein, 48g carbs1 whole wheat tortilla, 1/2 cup beans, 1/4 cup salsa, 1 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese
19. Quinoa + Chicken 19g protein, 45g carbs1/2 cup quinoa (dry), 2 oz chicken
20. Asian Noodles + Vegetables20g protein, 56g carbs1/2 cup Asian noodles, 1/2 cup sea vegetables, 3 oz tofu
Full disclosure: Athletes’ Performance and CorePerformance.com has corporate partnerships with EAS and Gatorade.